Winter Warmer: Kale, Sausage & White Bean Stew Recipe
Looking to warm up this winter season over a comforting bowl of stew? Howard Head Sports Medicine Performance Dietitian Abbey Lathrop suggests this flavorful variety that has chicken stock as its base and several hearty additions: chicken sausage, cannellini beans and kale.
Kale is known for being a nutrient-packed, high-fiber superfood. While some might find kale to be tough to chew in large quantities when it’s served raw, it becomes more palatable when cooked into a stew like this one, so you can get all of the benefits—and more enjoyment— out of this healthy addition.
This recipe contains only a few easy-to-find ingredients, and it doesn’t need to simmer for long, so it’s a great choice for a weeknight meal when you’re short on time.
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 package of fresh Italian chicken sausage
- 2 can cannellini (white) beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz.) box chicken broth
- 1 large bunch of kale (stems removed & chopped)
- Dice the onion and saute in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Add garlic when onion is tender; saute a few more minutes.
- Squeeze sausage out of casings; brown with the onion mixture.
- Set aside 1 cup of chicken broth. Add the rest to the sausage and onion mixture.
- Add the can of tomatoes.
- Mash up half of the beans with the 1 cup of broth and add to the stew. Add the other half of the beans (as whole).
- Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for 5 minutes, until kale is JUST tender and bright green.
It Takes a Team: Treating and Preventing Brain Injuries
March is Brain Injury Awareness month, and while brain injuries get highlighted this month in particular, Howard Head...
Meghan Gallegos Honored as Recipient of Vail Health Elevate Award
Howard Head Sports Medicine Physical Therapist recognized for exceptional care Meghan Gallegos...
Howard Head Sports Medicine named Official Sports Performance and Physical Therapy Provider of the Vail Yeti Hockey Club